Tuesday, January 24, 2012

"Hi, my name is Sara and I am a writer."

     Which is exactly what I would say if there ever existed a meeting for writers who are absolutely in love with their craft.  Because, let's face it, writing is addictive.  I started writing in 2007, but my love of fiction began the day I was born.  My parents swear that I was born with a book in my hand.  Books have always been a form of escapism for me.  I never leave home without one.  But since I've started writing, not just fiction but my freelance articles, I've come to the conclusion that I cannot get enough of it.  I find myself daydreaming about writing when not doing it.
     Mondays are the only time that I can fully devote an entire day to my writing, since my day job begins on Tuesday.  During the week, I diligently work every night from 8:00-10:30 on my writing.  Unfortunately I have to get up early to go to work at my dad's dental office, so I'm not always able to work later into the night like I would like to.  Once I put the pen and paper away and turn out the lights, I find myself fighting the urge to turn the lights back on and hit the power button on my computer.  I have to force myself to lie there and wait for sleep to take me.
     I don't know if anyone feels the same way, but I find it hard to shut off my drive to write at a certain time at night.  It's like a drug.  Creativity feels good.  You are in another world, you're interacting with these people that are so three dimensional to you, and sometimes it's hard to say goodbye.  Maybe you had a bad day at work, and writing fiction is your escape out of reality.  Well, sometimes I find it hard to shut everything off and leave my world of characters to go to sleep and face reality again in the morning.  During the day I find myself wondering, "what is so and so doing?"  I can't wait to get home and get my fix.

No comments:

Post a Comment