Monday, December 20, 2010

My New Year's Resolution

It's that time of year again.  The time when you stop to review your life so far this year, before a new one begins.  I think as writers, this is a particularly important time for us.  This is the time we take stock of our accomplishments, whether it be financially, or based on the number of times you've been published as a freelancer, or how many words you've written towards your novel or short story.   But really I guess, we should be grateful for any type of work we are able to finish, or even the fact that we saw our name in print, even if it was just once.

I had a bit of a disappointment this year myself, but have resigned myself to the fact that there is always next year.  In September of this year, I signed up for the San Francisco's Writer's Conference, coming up in February 2011.  I was in the process of turning a short story that I wrote titled, "Blood Pressure" into a full-length novel of the same name.  I guess you can say I naively thought I could finish an entire novel in just 6 months.  Turns out I was right, I couldn't.  Though I am fortunate enough to work 20-24 hours a week at my dad's dental office, plus the fact that I get time off whenever I want, it still wasn't enough to allow me to finish a novel.  So, I had to cancel my hotel reservations and request my money back.  I felt like a failure, but am continuing to work on my novel.

My New Year's Resolution is to finish the novel by late summer and start submitting it to agents.  I did, however, fulfill one goal, and that was to get published in two new publications, which I did!  Tropical Fish Hobbyist and Writer's Journal.

I'd also have a yearning to travel and would love to find a conference that isn't so close to where I live.  Boston, or Maine are my two fav picks.

Tell me, what are your New Year's Resolutions?

No comments:

Post a Comment