Monday, October 12, 2009

On Writing For Magazines

I recently picked up an issue of a magazine that just came out - brand new.  I read and loved it and quickly emailed the editor with a query, which he accepted.  And, in a matter of days I had an assignment, well two actually, I was to do a book review also, along with a 2500 word article.  I was then told that they couldn't pay me, but in copies.  At first I thought nothing of it, but the more I thought about it, the more I thought, "I can't keep writing for publications that don't pay." So I emailed the editor and very politely told them that I couldn't do the articles without compensation.  

I don't know if this was right or not, but I know that I can't keep writing for no money.  It's hard enough getting paid as a writer as it is, and nowadays nobody works for FREE!  

Did I do the right thing?

1 comment:

  1. Sounds tough. But, it depends what you're after. If you're looking to expand your platform writing for free can be very helpful. But, if you're looking to make money it can be a waste of time. The question comes down to: do you think your writing platform is big enough to start turning down non-paying projects?

    ReplyDelete