Wednesday, August 5, 2009

My Guide To Outlining A Story

I learned how to outline stories in my screenwriting classes at the Academy Of Arts University in San Francisco.

First I start with a CHARACTER LIST - which lists every conceivable description about them: physically, mentally, and emotionally.  I write down every last detail that I can think of whether it's pertinent to the story or not.

Next I add my PLOT DESCRIPTIONS - which lists every known feature about the locations geographically.  

Then I write a PLOT SYNOPSIS (1-3 pages) detailing everything thing that happens in a nutshell.

And then comes my SCENE LISTS - where I list every single thing that happens in the story.  I have headers for ACTS 1,2,3.  

I can get a bit anal when it comes to plotting out stories before I write them, but that's because I need a specific guidelines before writing.  Otherwise I feel I'm writing blind.

No comments:

Post a Comment