Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Musings of a new writer

Four years ago, I started attending classes at the Academy Of Arts University in San Francisco.  A year and a half ago, I changed my major from directing to screenwriting.  Since last October, I have set up my freelance writing business.  Busting my hump six days a week has paid off - I know write for several magazines and am a soon-to-be author of a picture book later this summer.  I often think how I went from writing horror scripts and learning the ins and outs of Hollywood, to writing for my favorite magazines?  I'm an educated screenwriter and a self-taught freelance writer.  Weird huh?  I often wonder if the education I got at the Academy was better than the educating I did myself.  But I don't think my career as a screenwriter is awash yet, because Rob Schmidt director of Wrong Turn and the Alphabet Killer has my first horror script.  My life as a freelance writer may take a turn into writing for a studio.  Who knows?  In fact, I like not knowing.  But what I do know is that, whatever I wrote and whoever I write for, I'm satisfied and happy being a writer.  I wouldn't want to be anything else in the world.  

2 comments:

  1. It's great you can write for a magazine you like. :) Also, good luck on the script!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sara

    I thought I'd pop over and read your blog. Very interesting. I did freelancing for a while. I loved it.

    Mags xx (from cc)
    Margaret-paranormalromanceauthor.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete